In my practice, I have found that books and websites can be a powerful adjunct to psychotherapy and medication management. The following is a list of books and websites, sorted by topic, that my patients have found to be helpful. I have no financial interest in Amazon.com or any of the listed books. Please note that this list does not imply my complete endorsement of the contents of the listed resources.
- Article – Depression Summary by Minyang Mao, M.D.
- Article – Seasonal Affective Disorder by Minyang Mao, M.D.
- Book – The Feeling Good Handbook by David D. Burns
- Book – Mind Over Mood by Greenberger and Padesky
- Website – Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (DBSA)
- Handout – SSRI FAQ.pdf – Selective Serotonine Reuptake Inhibitors Frequently Asked Questions
- Slides –Depression and Medications.pdf – Slides presented at Depression and Medications Workshop
- Article – ADHD Summary by Minyang Mao, M.D.
- Book – Driven to Distraction by Edward M. Hallowell and John J. Ratey
- Book – Mastering Your Adult ADHD by Steven A. Safren, Susan E. Sprich, Carol A. Perlman, Michael W. Otto
- Book – Brain Lock by Jeffrey M. Schwartz
- Article – Panic Disorder Summary by Minyang Mao, M.D.
- Book – Mastery of Your Panic and Anxiety Workbook by Craske and Barlow
- Website – Anxiety Disorders Association of America (ADAA)
Asian-American Mental Health
- Website – Mental Health America – AAPI Communities
- Website – National Asian American Pacific Islander Mental Health Association
- Website – Culture to Culture Foundation
- Website – N.Y. Coalition for Asian-American Mental Health
Spirituality and Mental Health
- Book – The Search for Significance by Robert S. McGee
- Book – Boundaries by Cloud and Townsend
- Review Article – “Addressing Spiritual Issues in Psychiatric Treatment” by Minyang Mao, M.D.
- Website – American Association of Christian Counselors
- Northern California Christian Clinics – Christian Counseling Centers
- Nationwide Christian Clinics – Meier Clinics
- Book – The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work – by John M. Gottman
- Website – The Gottman Institute
- Website – The Family Institute at Northwestern University
Resources for Primary Care Providers
- Handout – Psychiatric Medications Refresher.pdf – Psychiatric Medications Refresher for Primary Care Physicians